Friday, April 8, 2016

Nursery Painting


Yo, dudes and dudettes (because obvi this blog is the numero uno bookmark on every man's computer). Some of you have been asking about the painting I posted on Insta, so I figured I would do a quick blog post about it. I was looking for something that would put me into labor so I gave painting a try. It took me about 5 hours (I move slower) and cost me about 17 dollars total (I did have a few things on hand already). I call this a win! I got my inspiration from Vintage Revivals, but put my own little spin on it.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 2 2x4 pieces of plywood like these here
    or 1 4x4 piece if you have a large vehicle
  • Paint colors of choice
  • Paint brushes/sponges
  • Painters tape
  • Nails/screws to hang your masterpiece
I chose the colors I did because I wanted it to go in my babe's nursery. His nursery colors are pretty non-existent with everything just white, grey, and light wood. So the colors I got give me more freedom to mix and match other things into his room without it being out of place. End of unimportant information. :)


You'll basically just put a dot in the corner and tape off rays from that center point. You can put your point wherever. In the exact middle would be really cool, too. Make sure you run over the tape with a credit card or something solid to make sure it seals to the wood in order to avoid paint leaks. Wait for the previous color to dry before taping off the next bit to avoid messes. 



I originally painted it for the dot to be in the top right corner, but hung it upside down. You can hang it with nails since it is light enough, but I felt safer using screws into the studs since it was going over the crib. Ya know, just incase. 


What do I love most about this project? The wood is a really good canvas. It does exactly what you want and takes the color really well. Doing this one project has made me aware of all the blank walls in my house that I could fill with random wood canvas paintings. 

Here is how it turned out on the wall! It's amazing and one of my favorite projects I've done in a while. 


Try it and let me know how it turns out or what you did differently! I'd love some inspiration for my next painting! 

4 comments

  1. I love it!! I think Ollie will love it and you and Andrew are going to make wonderful parents!! I love all 3 of you guys!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way this came out! I don't have huge wall space in my children's rooms, but I really want to try this with a smaller canvas! If I do, I'll be sure to share it with you! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely let me know! Please post it if you do! You'll love it! <3

      Delete

© Birdie Who
Maira Gall