Monday, February 1, 2016

How to Enjoy Your Baby Shower

Hey, good lookin'. We had a big weekend, but the biggest thing that happened was we had our baby shower! And instead of just posting photos of the shower, I am going to give some tips. Baby showers, bridal showers, all the showers, are so awkward. Have you ever been to a shower that isn't uncomfortable? Let me know, because I am very interested. You want to please everyone, talk to everyone all at once, and being the center of attention is always out of my comfort zone. But, they help so much and sometimes are more than necessary. I have the best friends and family because my baby shower filled almost all my "To Get" list. So how do we make them a little easier to get through? Here are my 5 steps:

Invite everyone.
And I mean everyone. Men, children, people you work with, everyone. Excluding people can cause a bigger headache than its worth. Mixing different groups of people is hard for some people, but if you mix enough, no one notices that no one knows anyone. And men. Yes. Invite men. The baby is Andrew's baby, too. He should get to celebrate as much as I do. Plus, he is going to be a stay at home dad. So the gifts will effect him more than me, honestly. And having him there was like having two of me there. He got to help entertain our friends, too. It was really nice. Kids are also a good distraction when things seem boring. The more kids, the less boring.

Let the party planners plan.
Do you have someone in your life offering to throw you a shower? Let them. Don't try to micro manage. If they ask for your advice or suggestions, go easy on them. Always try to put yourself in their shoes. This is something they want to do for you. Not something they have to do. Added bonus? If you're less involved, you won't know what things are "supposed" to look/be like. So it makes you more willing to go with the flow which always keeps the mood light.

Relax.
Just do it, okay? Remember that you can't be everywhere at once. And you can't make everyone happy. So just be you. And know that most likely everyone there has been to another shower so this isn't there first rodeo. Everyone will still love you at the end if it isn't exactly how you thought it would be. Remember, you're the only one who thinks about how it should be. Everyone is just happy to see you.

Don't make it a big deal.
This kind of plays into the other ones on the list, but it's important. It's not the sink or swim moment of your life. No one is going to remember the bad things and everyone is there to celebrate the birth of a new baby, or a new marriage. It should be care free. And the more care free you are, the more your guests can be themselves.

Thank them.
This is the most important. My baby shower was in the middle of a snow storm. I honestly didn't know if anyone would show up. So for those people who did, or for the people who sent gifts, don't let that go unnoticed. The friends and family who helped start Oliver's life with the things he needed will forever melt my heart. I love each and every one of them. And a thank you card is the least I could do to show my gratitude. Pro Tip: take notepad and have someone write names and gifts given to make sure you don't forget anyone.

So, this all being said, I want to take a second to thank my family for putting my shower together. My mom, Samantha, my sisters, Tristan and Ashton, and my sister-in-law, Kambri: Thank you. You all worked so hard to put together this beautiful memory for Andrew and I to have for the rest of our lives. I don't think I have been to a better shower and I owe that all to you. You're the best and I love you.

Enjoy the few photos we took:


Best cupcakes ever: Randall's Sweetcakes







6 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Todd! We missed you there. It wasn't the same without you. <3

      Delete
  2. Great tips! It looks like you guys had a great time. I love you both so very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun even though it was a blizzard outside. We missed you guys and love you, too!

      Delete
  3. It was absolutely perfect! Thank you for inviting me. The food was spectacular and the company even more so!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best! Thank you so much for coming and for the amazing gifts. Oliver is going to love them! <3

      Delete

© Birdie Who
Maira Gall