Thursday, September 1, 2016

How to Stain Your Cement Floors

Hello, dudes. It's been a while! Andrew and I have been crazy busy remodeling our house, working, and raising a barf bucket we like to call our child. I have a ton of projects I want to post as well as new finds that I can't wait to share with you. Those along side family updates should get this blog back into the groove of things and quick. I've missed being here and I know you've missed me! 

I hope you enjoy the first of many DIY blogs I've got coming. They're going to rock your socks. 

Five Easy Steps to Stained Concrete

Whether you have cement outside, in your garage, or in your home (like us), you've probably thought about ways you can change it up but without the cost of buying new flooring. We thought the exact same thing. We had just redone the top 2 floors of our house and had just our basement left. The walls aren't done, but we knew we wanted to utilize the space until we could afford to frame it. We wanted a space to do yoga, run on our tredmill, and even put a spare bed for guests when they stayed but we didn't want it to feel dark and cold. My parents stained their floors and I thought it was also the perfect solution to our problem: wanting to change everything on the smallest of budgets and not wanting to do much work. :)

Follow the instructions below for a cheap, quick way to refinish your concrete!

What you'll need:

  • Pump Sprayer - $13 - I got mine at Kmart in the garden section
  • Acid Wash - $35 - Rust Oleum 1 gallon
  • Base coat of stain - 2/$25 - I got 2 based on the size of my floor (approximately 600 sqft) and the color Sand. Amount will very based on size of your project
  • Top Coat of stain - $25 - I got one since its not a thick coat and of a darker, more chocolate brown (if I had to do it again, I would have picked gray then black on top).
  • Sealer - I don't remember the exact price and can't seem to find it on the Home Depot website, but just ask someone. I got the Wet Look Sealer and I think its only $20.00 a gallon
  • A floor squeegee 
  • A metal scrub brush
  • Gloves
  • Eye protective wear
  • Garbage bags
  • Boots
  1. Dress appropriately. 
    Put on your eye protective wear, long pants, boots, long sleeved shirt and put garbage bags over your shoes for extra protection. The first part of this job is the hardest and can actually hurt you if you let this stuff get on your skin. Please be extra cautious.

  2. Using your sprayer, spray the acid wash on the ground and scrub.
    Assuming you're doing this on already cleaned floors, the spraying and scrubbing shouldn't be too bad. Spray a 10x10 area of acid then wash it off with a hose. Squeegee the excess into a drain then move onto the next 10x10 area. Note: Learn from me and be sure to not just dump the acid wash on the ground. Every place it hits the ground will be noticeable and you will be left with what looks like spilled water all the time when you're done. This step is the least forgiving.
  3. Base coat.
    24 hours after cleaning your floor, put on your base coat. Use the spray pump and try to get it as evenly and thick as you can, but remember not to get it too wet or thick that it bubbles.
  4. Top coat.
    One of the hardest parts of this job is waiting. 24 hours later apply the top coat. I went over mine lightly and evenly then did another top coat the next day with what I had left just to make it extra dark. But that is totally preference and one time through will work perfect. Don't forget to wash your tools in between coats!
  5. Sealer.
    Spray down the floors with sealer after the top coat has dried. I waited 24 hours in between everything just because it was easy for me to remember to do this the same time every day. Once down, don't walk on it as any foot traffic at all is noticeable and will be there forever. I then waited 72 hours (per the back of the bottle) to bring in any sort of furniture. 
The entire project took about 4 days total, but it was also one of the easiest jobs in the house so far. One hour a day and an hour extra of podcasting. Comment down below if you have any questions or know of any additional tricks! I'll tell you that as soon as my garage is cleaned out I will be looking for fun and easy ways to finish the concrete in there as well. 







No comments

Post a Comment

© Birdie Who
Maira Gall